[Lazarus] LCL exports CC-licensed icons to every LCL application

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Mon Mar 21 12:46:09 CET 2016

On 21.03.2016 12:18, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Ondrej, what is the fuzz about icons now?
> No author of icons has complained. The famfam icons are free anyway.
> Lazarus project acknowledges their origin and thus does not violate
> anything.

Correct.

> Yes, all applications using LCL must acknowledges them, too, but it
> should not be a problem. It is just one line of text somewhere.

Correct, this is not the problem. The problem is that if somebody
downloads Lazarus, there is no warning about it. So people can easily
break license terms without even knowing it.

> We can emphasize its importance in a ReadMe file or somewhere. No big deal...

This is exactly what I proposed in internal discussion. See my email
from 20.03.2016 12:36. Why haven't you answered there? The only answers
I got there were that the CC-licensed icons have to be removed.

> For some reason this reminds me of the war against CodeTyphon. Some
> people used any excuse to attack them and/or Lazarus developers. It
> went out of proportions completely, and the fundamental ideas of open
> source were turned upside down in the process.

What is so bad on using public domain icons in an open-source project
instead of icons covered by a different license that the open-source
project uses?

> Your icon crusade is going out of proportions, too. Are you really
> going to break the IDE with an IFDEF?

No.

> Does it mean everybody must explicitly acknowledge famfam icons before
> he gets a working IDE.

No. I said the IDE can be configured automatically to include famfam
icons. The discussion is about LCL and not Lazarus.

I don't want to fight against Lazarus. I only want to clarify the
license information about the LCL because now it isn't correct. As I