[Lazarus] HEAPTRACE IFDEF

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue May 3 20:06:26 CEST 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Aradeonas wrote:

>> We do have documentation, you know. Is it so much to ask to
>> look at it ?
>
>> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/current/prog/progsu128.html
> No it is not but it is not came to my searches and FPC documentation is
> not much good for searching at least from google and if I know what I
> want I couldn't guess there is such like this ability and one way I will
> be left to know about this is that is reading doc for fun everyday like
> a book and keep reading it's changelog!

I don't know what you typed in Google, but it definitely shows it:

Google search:

"conditional compilation free pascal"

Entry 4. But entries 1-3 also will lead  you the answer.

And the documentation changes only once per release.
No-one asks you to read it daily.

>> UseHeapTrace is a variable in unit heaptrc, which is silently used
>> when compiling with -gh.
> Thanks for the explanation.
>> $IF DECLARED is not supported by codetools.
> Should I report it as a bug or it already reported?

IMHO it is useless to report it for this case.

As I tried to explain: it cannot be done *correct* by the codetools.

It depends, for example, on actual compiler options.
So, in case of lazarus, it depends on build modes.
It can also depend on @someconfig.cfg compiler options files. etc.

At best, the codetools can make a guess.

Michael.