[Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:29:29 CEST 2016

The online package manager works well and its operation is smooth
thanks to threaded code.

Earlier discussions have recommended fppkg.
 http://free-pascal-lazarus.989080.n3.nabble.com/Lazarus-An-online-package-manager-tt4043469.html#none
I discussed with GetMem earlier and he says fppkg is not very well
suited here. I must take his word on this issue because he is the only
person so far to make a functional online package manager.
"Lazarus packagemanager" from Darius Blaszyk uses fppkg but does not work.
The "Aarre" initiative from Mattias and myself has no functional code either.
Several people (including myself) had plans to write such a package
manager ... but nobody did until now.

My goal is to include this GetMem's work in Lazarus sources. It also
means commit access for him.

Now the code has copies of some FCL classes and a copy of
VirtualTreeview. These can be seen as temporary copies.
The goal is to integrate management of online package and local
packages. The Install/Uninstall Packages window in Lazarus would then
show also online packages and this new VirtualTreeview based GUI would
show local packages. In essence the new GUI will be an alternative to
the old GUI. Competition is good.

What do you people say?

Juha