[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

Thu Oct 13 22:13:49 CEST 2016

Darn it, sounds like Graeme is describing me!

I wandered into Lazarus/Free Pascal a few years ago after enjoying
writing VBA code in Excel. Admittedly I always found my (VBA) code
sloppy and wrote some odd code just to make things work!

My coding is just a hobby that I enjoy, but I would like to be able to
do it well and also somehow know that I am. Unfortunately I come from a
marine (ships) background not from an IT one. No formal training in
programming. I'm a lonely Linux user and an even more lonely pascal
coder, so I only have this mailinglist to "litmus test" my "skills"
against. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a pain but no one has yet been
rude to me, just helpful which I appreciate ;-)

When I see a recommendation from someone on this list, I normally go for
it. Therefore just ordered a copy of An Introduction To Methodical
Programming, thanks Tony. I am envious of the students of Adrian De
Armas who will receive some formal training.

I have a lot of books on pascal programming, pascal manuals (turbo 5.5),
even Kylix & Delphi 3 tomes including Lazarus The Complete Guide that
all threaten to break my shelves at any moment. All these books have
been a great help to me, but out of interest what would the IT graduates
on this mailing list recommend as the best reference publication for
teaching a) programming concepts in general, & b) pascal programming
specifically?

Thanks, Martin