[Lazarus] CHM help package

Sergey Bodrov serbod at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 08:35:20 CET 2017

lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>:

> Am 12.12.2017 um 18:24 schrieb Sergey Bodrov via Lazarus:
>
> Strange way to make changes, but I don't mind.
>
> What is strange?

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Creating_A_Patch describes two ways - make a
small patch or send whole files with instructions, where they should be
placed. So, I choose second way as more effective for massive changes.
What's wrong?

> Why I disassemble your changes? In this case, you still would not have
> understood what this entire discussion is all about. Your sources will be
> rejected because the essential code is buried underneath tons of formatting
> changes. The developer who will review such a bug report will not simply
> take your sources and copy them over the official ones. He must understand
> what you changed, he must be able to study your sources for possible
> side-effects which the reporter often does not think of. With your code
> this is not possible. I think on the other hand, that it would be a pity if
> your work would not be considered. Therefore I joined this discussion. Now
> that I understood one of the issues you are fixing and was able to
> reproduce it I looked for differences between your code and the "official"
> one, and found that it would be sufficient to replace only a single
> procedure. With such a patch the reviewer knows what is fixed and how it is
> fixed. And my report (https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=32814)
> gives him an easy way to verify that a bug exists and that the patch really
> fixes it.
>

> Or is it strange that I write the bug report for you? I just wanted to
> help you. No problem if you write the next one yourself.

I personally greteful, that you helps me. But I don't understand whole
situation with code formatting, it looks like a some 'social bug' for me.
If code formatting of existing code is prohibited, then must be some public
warning in wiki.

--
*Bodrov Sergey*
software development, IT consulting