[Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 3 of 1.8.0

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Tue Jul 4 13:50:56 CEST 2017

On 06/30/2017 08:15 AM, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
> The Lazarus team is glad to announce the third release candidate of
> Lazarus 1.8.

<...>

> == How to test ==
>
> Download and install the 1.8 RC3.
> - On Windows you can install as a 2ndary install, that will not affect your current install:
>   http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#Installation_of_multiple_Lazarus
> - On other platforms, if you install to a new location you need to use --primary-config-path
>
> In either case you should make backups. (including your primary config)
>
> Open your project in the current Lazarus (1.6.x), and use "Publish Project" from the project menu. This creates a clean copy of your project.
>
> You can then open that copy in the RC3. Please test:
> - If you can edit forms in the designer
>    - rename components / change properties in Object inspector / Add new events
>    - Add components to form / Move components on form
>    - Frames, if you use them
> - If you can navigate the source code (e.g. jump to implementation)
> - Auto completion in source code
> - Compile, debug and run
> - Anything else you use in your daily work

I'm seeing an *extremely* strange problem with 1.8.0 RC3, AMD64
version as DEBs, as downloaded from SourceForge.

I'm using the latest Ubuntu Studio 64-bit, which basically means
Ubuntu 17.04. Using the Lazarus IDE, and creating a totally new
application, every keypress appears multiple times, e.g. if I try to
type the word 'Array' in the editor it will come out as something like
'AAArrrraayyy'. I have tried typing a single line of code and
attempting to compile, and yes, the compiler does generate a syntax
error, it's not some problem with the display. I don't see this on ANY
other application which I've tried - LibreOffice works OK, I can type
URLs into Firefox without a problem, JEdit works just fine, and I'm
writing this message in Thunderbird on the same system without any
multiple characters. The FP IDE works OK too, FWIW.

Obviously this makes RC3 totally unusable as far as I'm concerned,
however fortunately (for me? (: ) v 1.6.4 still works OK. My DEBs for
1.6.4 were also obtained from Sourceforge, they're not from the Ubuntu
repositories.

I have no idea what's going on here, and I'm amazed to see that nobody
else is reporting this. If the developers have anything they want me
to try to help diagnose the problem, then by all means ask.

Brian.

--
Please note the forthcoming minor change of e-mail address,
brian at meadows.pairSITE.com not brian at meadows.pair.com.