[Lazarus] Congrats to the FPC/Lazarus projects - job well done!

Petr Hložek petr at petrhlozek.cz
Thu Jul 20 16:20:11 CEST 2017

<lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>:
> I'm just shocked at how behind Delphi has become. FPC and Lazarus are so far
> ahead in language features, target platforms, IDE features - they have
> simply made Delphi obsolete. EMBT keeps buying other companies or products
> and adding more junk into Delphi - instead of fixing what is already there
> (basic IDE and language features). They should take a page out of
> Canonical's playbook - remember the Ubuntu One Hundred Papercuts initiative.

You are right! Right now I'm working on project with over 1M lines of
source code and code completion is so slow! Even Ctrl+Click navigation
doesn't work, it jumps always to nonsense place. If I try to write
something, I still see blue circle indicating Delphi is thinking... .
Horrible experience. Core i5 with 16GB RAM and SSD disk. Also tons of
lines with red mark etc.

BTW Yesterday created packages of fpc 3.0.2 and Lazarus 1.6.4 for
Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10. After 1.8 is released, I'll create packages as
well.
https://launchpad.net/~ok2cqr/+archive/ubuntu/lazarus

Petr

--