[Lazarus] Managing Packages with many versions

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Mar 31 16:54:28 CEST 2017

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how I can manager my 3rd packages with different
> version.
>
> For example, imagine that:
> You have got a package called SmartFoo.lpk version 1.0.
> You are using the master/trunk version.
> Whe you compile it you got this: smartfoo\lib\x86_64-win64\*ppu, *.o, etc
>
> Now you can use this package in your projects.
>
> Then, the author update this package to 2.0 version.
> Imagine that you have many projects using version 1.0 but you would like to
> update to 2.0 to work in just one project.
>
> The problem is: I don't want to work in other projects right now but you
> need to mantain them compilable with the version 1.0 of SmartFoo if you
> need it any time.
>
> What is the best approach to deal with it?
>
> I've already read the Wiki http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Packages but
> I can not realize how IDE will know about the right *.ppu files to use.

Put the various versions  in different directories. The IDE will use the
correct one based on the dependencies and the location. Every version
needs to have been opened once in the IDE.

I use it all the time. Works fine, except some rather exotic error messages
if the IDE doesn't find a matching version.

Michael.