[Lazarus] Making sources compatible with Delphi (but Lazarus is priority)

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Fri May 5 10:31:00 CEST 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus <
lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

> On 2017-05-04 15:56, Juha Manninen via Lazarus wrote:
> > I have seen comments saying that treating UTF-16 as fixed width
> > encoding is OK because the characters outside BMP are so rare. It is
> > like saying that a buggy spreadsheet app is OK because it calculates
> > the sums wrong only sometimes. IMO such people should not do
> > programming.
>
> +1
> I purchased a commercial text editor renowned for having excellent
> Unicode support - at least that is what ALL the reviews said. Umm
> yeah, to my disappointment it internally uses UTF-16 (because it is
> written in Delphi), and treats UTF-16 as 2-byte fixed width! WTF!

To play the devil's advocate, the fact that ALL reviews said that it has
excellent support for Unicode means that characters outside the BMP *are*
rare. After all, BMP does include practically all languages used today.

I mean, it isn't technically correct, it is just that in practice it is
good enough for a very large number of tasks.