[Lazarus] The "Publish Package" functionality is horribly broken.

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri May 26 15:11:12 CEST 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017 13:09:34 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>[...]
> On 2017-05-26 12:42, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
> > It copies the package directory with some options.
> > The fpgui_toolkit directory only contains the 9 files. The other files
> > are in parent or sibling directories.
>
> But those are still part of the package. At you saying that when using
> "lazarus packages" you must (or should) always limit yourself to only
> one directory? Than seems a bit limiting.

No. Only the "publish package" function is limited.

> I've also seen many projects where the project file and packages files
> are in the root directory of a project, and all source code are in sub
> directories. So all those are "wrong" too?
>

> > It now checks if some unit/inc path are outside and disables the
> > "publish" menu item.
>
> Fine with me, but it still seems like a useless feature then.

It is useless for the fpgui package. That's why it is now disabled.

> Not actually being able to publish what is inside the package.

What do you mean with "inside"?
It lists some units, but not all. Some directories are shared by other
packages.
I see no straightforward rule to publish only the package fpgui_toolkit.

> If it is making releases that one is after, it seems a much better
> solution is still (if you use git):
>
>    $ git archive --prefix=prj-1.4.0/ -o prj-1.4.0.tar.gz v1.4.0

Huh? That is the whole fpgui, instead of just the fpgui_toolkit package.

> or
>
>   $ git archive --output /full/path/to/zipfile.zip master
>

> where "prj" is the name of the project. The last parameter is the
> commit, tag or branch you want to export.
>
> I believe SubVersion's equivalent would be 'svn export ...' command.

Mattias