[Lazarus] CodeTools knowledge about a project - find a class

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Fri May 26 16:49:35 CEST 2017

This looks like a nice feature, but it only seems to know stuff you have
already open or opened in the current session. It doesn't know all
identifiers and whatever might be available from the currently loaded
project and packages. For example if you have a unit Foo (either in the
project or in one of the packages) but you don't have it opened at any time
in the current session, it wont be able to show you anything that Foo
exports. If you open Foo then it will, even if you close it after, but if
you restart Lazarus it will have forgotten everything.

Also i'd prefer if the Jump to button was default. It is trivial to change
this via code (i just set the button's Default property to true) but i'd be
nice if it was configurable in options.

Finally while it does seem to remember unit names, this is as a byproduct
of units being symbols and when you jump to a unit it puts the cursor to
the top of the file. It'd be nice if it had a special case for units that
only switched/opened the unit file without moving the cursor so you can
quickly jump between files with the same shortcut.

TBH i think such a "quick jump" would be a good thing to have in the base
IDE out of the box. Popular modern IDEs provide this functionality these
days and it is even included in some editors like Sublime. I think the
necessary low level functionality is almost there and it is mainly a matter
of tying everything together.