[Lazarus] CodeTools knowledge about a project - find a class

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri May 26 17:16:32 CEST 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017 17:49:35 +0300
Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

> This looks like a nice feature, but it only seems to know stuff you have
> already open or opened in the current session. It doesn't know all
> identifiers and whatever might be available from the currently loaded
> project and packages. For example if you have a unit Foo (either in the
> project or in one of the packages) but you don't have it opened at any time
> in the current session, it wont be able to show you anything that Foo
> exports. If you open Foo then it will, even if you close it after, but if
> you restart Lazarus it will have forgotten everything.

No. It stores all learned identifiers in a file:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Cody#Unit_.2F_Identifier_Dictionary

For example on this machine the dictionary knows over a million
identifiers. It needs some clean up dialog. ;)

> Also i'd prefer if the Jump to button was default. It is trivial to change
> this via code (i just set the button's Default property to true) but i'd be
> nice if it was configurable in options.

Feel free to submit a patch.

> Finally while it does seem to remember unit names, this is as a byproduct
> of units being symbols and when you jump to a unit it puts the cursor to
> the top of the file. It'd be nice if it had a special case for units that
> only switched/opened the unit file without moving the cursor so you can
> quickly jump between files with the same shortcut.

Feel free to add an option for that too.

> TBH i think such a "quick jump" would be a good thing to have in the base
> IDE out of the box. Popular modern IDEs provide this functionality these
> days and it is even included in some editors like Sublime. I think the
> necessary low level functionality is almost there and it is mainly a matter
> of tying everything together.

It needs some work to make it "newbie" safe.

Mattias