[Lazarus] Who is using Object Pascal in production?

Marcos Douglas B. Santos md at delfire.net
Fri Oct 27 18:12:04 CEST 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Where to start ?
>
> Go is a very nice language, but is very difficult to get to work with
> external libraries. Writing imports can be next to impossible.
> Our server needs to do LOTS of things that simply cannot be done in Go,
> since Go doesn't have the necessary functionality (or libraries, or modules)
> so we'd need to offload that to C libs, which kind of defeats the purpose.
>
> Java would be a possibility, but
>
> a) I don't know Java so well. Java is HUGE.
>
> b) Then you need to deal with the Java VM and Tomcat and whatnot.
>    Not pleasant. Recently we had a java service completely unresponsive for
>    30 seconds, it was doing GC... Not acceptable at all.
>
> Node.js is nice for some scripting, but IMO Javascript is not suitable for
> large
> applications. Complete absence of type checking or any form of compilation
> is a disaster for large projects.
>
> Additionally, when using Node.js, you almost inevitably come into contact
> with npm.
> We built some mobile apps using a web runtime, and typical usage for Node.js
> is packaging of the app. This typically uses npm.
>
> npm pulled in 1200+ npm packages (100+mb), to pack an application of 1200
> lines
> of javascript. Not a joke. I actually checked. And to pack an application in
> essence means:
> creating a zip. IMO the people using node.js and npm are deluded, to allow
> such a mess.
>
> Suffices that 1 of the 1200 packages for what reason whatsoever is broken,
> retracted or whatnot: the whole system comes crashing down...
>
> (The upcoming pas2js can target node.js, and I am confident you will not
> need npm.)
>
> To make matters worse, javascript developers have no sense of time.
> They actually think that completely breaking backwards compatibility after 2
> years is OK.
> For example, the change of Angular to Angular 2 (and subsequent changes)
> made me decide that Angular is unsuitable for development - despite all the
> nifty features.
>
> The average lifetime of applications I make is many many years.
> So, backwards compatibility is VERY important.
>
> So. For all these reasons, I use Object Pascal. I can take my 10 year old
> application, recompile, and be reasonably sure it will still work.

WOW... Actually, you have good reasons. I liked.

I am asking this because sometimes I cannot make a project if I say
that will be coded in Object Pascal.
I have heard a client saying: We use C# or <choose one>. We don't have
more Pascal programmers to maintain this.

To develop desktop apps, it's not a problem. But if it will be a web
app, could be.
I will use your text, next time.  :)

About performance, do you believe that FastCGI is good or even better
than these other technologies?

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas