[Lazarus] ll 1.8.0 compiles fail with "Error while linking"

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Feb 11 11:20:25 CET 2018

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:38:11 +0100
Péter Gábor via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>[...]
> >> Getting "Error while linking" when trying to compile the 1.8.0 ide or
> >> any test programs on an old Fedora 19 and fresh installs of Fedora 23

Compiling via make or via the IDE?

On Fedora the normal IDE needs these rpms:
gtk2-devel, glibc-devel, binutils, gdb

Have you tried installing the rpms from our website? They were built on
Fedora.

> >> and Centos 6.8. Reviewed some bugs and forum postings, but there
> >> doesn't seem to be a fix or workaround available.
> >>
> >> I'd like to get this working on an RPM based distro, but am wondering
> >> if I'd have better luck trying a debian flavor.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Usually there are more messages than just "Error while linking". Please
post them.

> > You're probably missing some devel packages.
> >
> > zeljko
> I think zeljko is true... however low dispk space and a lot of other
> issues can result in "Error while linking":
>
> You can list dependencies with the following command (in terminal):
>
>   readelf -d ~/Projektek/Lazarus-trunk/lazarus | grep NEEDED
>   objdump -p ~/Projektek/Lazarus-trunk/lazarus | grep NEEDED
>   ldd ~/Projektek/Lazarus-trunk/lazarus

When linking the IDE fails there is no lazarus, is there?
Instead there should be link.res files.

> You can list only the missing dependencies with 'grep' command like this:
>   ldd ~/Projektek/Lazarus-trunk/lazarus | grep "not found"
>
> The result of the above command hardly depends on the installed Lazarus
> components, and may change if you  install or uninstall some of the
> Lazarus components.

Mattias