[Lazarus] Printer printable width&height

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jul 29 10:50:35 CEST 2018

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:

> On 28/07/18 14:05, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>> How to obtain the origin of the printable area ?
>> Is the PageWidth/Pageheight relative to this origin ?
>
> As far as I know (or how I always understood print drivers), the
> PageWidth and PageHeight is the full page size (eg: A4 = 210x297mm).

No, as far as I can see, this is paperwidth and papersize.

> The printable area is printer dependent. eg: my laser printer can't
> print in a 5mm border around the page. Yet my inkjet printer can print
> full page size. Same software was used to test this.

I know this, and it looks like this is why PageWidth and PageHeight were
introduced.

But without knowing what the origin of this pagewidth&pagesize is, these are
useless properties.

I must now resort to trial and error to draw a rectangle with sides at equal
distances from the paper borders. e.g. 1 cm from the paper edges. The
'logical' choices (as also used in the selectprinter demo) do not seem to work.

Michael.