[Lazarus] what can we do to get a better debugger

Wed Nov 21 11:30:52 CET 2018

On 2018-11-20 10:37 a.m., Dennis via lazarus wrote:
> Shall we start a fund raising event to raise fund for a new and better
> debugger for FPC + Lazarus?

Indeed, the debugger is the weakest part of FPC/Lazarus development tools.

The problem is not so much funding the idea of implementing a dedicated
and improved debugger. There has been many attempts at implementing new
debuggers (all without funding) and some of that have now been combined
into one Pascal based debugger (fpdebug).

The real problem is man-power - finding someone that can give their full
attention to the task until it is complete (and hopefully on par with
debuggers like can be seen in Java development). With small open source
projects like FPC and Lazarus it is hard to find such dedicated
man-power, because most contributors actually have full time jobs, or
get bored and work on other areas they find more enjoyable.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/