[Lazarus] what can we do to get a better debugger

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Nov 21 13:15:35 CET 2018

Op 21-11-18 om 11:30 schreef Graeme Geldenhuys via lazarus:
> On 2018-11-20 10:37 a.m., Dennis via lazarus wrote:
> Indeed, the debugger is the weakest part of FPC/Lazarus development tools.

I don't agree. The lack of a good (online) package-system is the weakest
part. (debugging might be the second)

> The real problem is man-power - finding someone that can give their full
> attention to the task until it is complete (and hopefully on par with
> debuggers like can be seen in Java development). With small open source
> projects like FPC and Lazarus it is hard to find such dedicated
> man-power, because most contributors actually have full time jobs, or
> get bored and work on other areas they find more enjoyable.

It is fairly simple: my top priorities are now:

1: Fpmake/Fppkg
2: Fpdebug
3: Attributes / RTTI

I decided to work only on Fpmake and Fppkg. When that works, switch to
Fpdebug. And then the attributes.

I hope that someone else can pick up the attributes and RTTI work,
though. A lot is already happening in this regard.

And Fpdebug works fine. This is also something that others can help
with. Martin does most of the Lazarus-stuff and everything needed to
show variables and such. I'm working on the lower-level parts.

But, as Graeme said, all in my spare time.

Regards,

Joost