[Lazarus] New debugger for Mac based on lldb (Call for testers)

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Oct 16 23:39:31 CEST 2018

On 16/10/2018 23:23, C Western via Lazarus wrote:
> On 14/10/2018 20:09, Martin Frb via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> - Go to Tools > Options > Debugger
>>   In the "debugger type" dropdown, you should find and select "LLDB
>> debugger (with fpdebug)"
>>   The edit below this (where you normally have the path to gdb),
>> should be changed to the path of lldb.
>>   (lldb comes with the tools from apple; and as such it is already
>> codesigned by apple).
>>
> Did you mean the option "(with fpdebug)"? Trying with this option
> lazarus throws an exception trying to open a .o file that exists - I
> can't immediately see why it is throwing the exception. It doesn't
> seem to reach the stage of starting the program. If I try it without,
> the debugger seems to be working OK, at least at first glance.

Depending on which of the LazDebugger...LLDB package(s) you installed,
you should have one or two entries:
   "LLDB Debugger (Alpha)"
   "LLDB Debugger (with fpdebug) (Alpha)"

The 2nd one should be the better one.
The first (without fpdebug), will accept/display watches in C style
only, and has had way less testing.

If you get an error, please provide the stacktrace (if you have),
together with console output, and logfile.

Please also test with and without "external debug info".
When using (or having used) external dbg info, ensure that the folder
with the debug info is not left behind/outdated (IIRC a folder with psym
in the name)

I tested this on a Mac, that I had on loan. Currently I do not have a
Mac for testing.

---
What you mean by "without, the debugger"
Without any debugger, or with the lldb without fpdebug?