[Lazarus] derived forms and frames

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Sat Sep 22 10:49:21 CEST 2018

Franz,

It sounds like we a share a programming style as I also use lots of
derived forms and frames.

You have to use packages if you are going to work with Lazarus in this
way. Create a run-time package for your framework forms and frames and
their dependencies - you may even want more than one package  in order
to structure your framework properly and to avoid having a unit in
multiple packages. Work out the package hierarchy that works best for you.

Create a design time package which registers the forms and other
components that you want to appear on the palette, plus any property
editors you need. You may also want to call "RegisterNoIcon" for any
TFrame descendents that your framework uses. This allows the IDE to
quickly find the parent class for a derived frame.

The ProjectTemplates package is also very useful here if you have any
project templates you need to register.

You will have to recompile Lazarus when you add new design time packages
- but that's just how Lazarus works. You will not have to re-compile
Lazarus every time you change a unit in a run-time package - that's only
necessary if you change the design time behaviour of a unit.

When you use your framework in your project, your run-time packages
should automatically get included if you use a form from your design
time package - otherwise just add them yourself. There is no need to
explicitly include in your project a unit define in a package on which
the project depends.

Tip: If you are editing a frame/form make sure that any descendent
frames/forms are closed, otherwise you will find that their inherited
property values are decoupled from the parent frame/form.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tony Whyman

MWA