[Lazarus] New XML format for project info files

Werner Pamler werner.pamler at freenet.de
Wed Apr 3 22:42:20 CEST 2019

Am 18.03.2019 um 06:54 schrieb Juha Manninen via lazarus:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 1:12 AM Werner Pamler via lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>> I saw that you activated legacy compatibility mode by default, thank
>> you. But now the checkbox in the project options is out of sync.
>> Shouldn't it be checked now by default, too?
> Here it is checked now by default both in existing and in new projects.
>
> Juha

Unfortunately this does not solve the issue for me personally. I post a
lot of code in the forum, and since I normally work with Laz-trunk and,
of course, forget to activate the compatibility option the code will be
useless for users of legacy versions. I really would appreciate to have
the previous solution (a global default setting for the compatibility
option) in addition to the current solution. Of course this new option
should now be off by default, but after once having switched it on all
my demo projects would be readable also by legacy Lazarus. I reopened
bug report https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22752 for this request.

 From the perspective of a legacy Laz user a stand-alone tool to convert
the new format back to legacy would be helpful, too. Currently, a user
not having Laz trunk is unable to open any projects saved by Laz trunk
without editing the xml files manually!

Most users still are not aware of this change - see discussion following
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,44161.msg316081.html#msg316081.
I think this is an important point to be listed
inhttp://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.2.0_release_notes.

Werner