[Lazarus] Auto session store etc.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jan 4 14:33:39 CET 2019

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019, Graeme Geldenhuys via lazarus wrote:

> On 04/01/2019 11:59, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:
>> Well, to my big relief, I discovered that Atom does this.
>
> EditPad Pro and jEdit also does that. Seems it is a more popular feature
> than first expected. ;-)
>

> From the book "About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design" (not
> a direct quote):
>
>   Editors and most programs shouldn't even need an explicit Save menu
>   option. If they auto-save everything - combined with an Undo feature
>   - that's all that is needed. Why bother the end-user then with an
>   explicit Save. Many mobile apps already implement this behaviour with
>   great success.

I read that too. But here I don't agree 100%.

Of course you need an explicit 'save' for an editor.
You need to give a name to your file. And what if I want to rename my file ?

Imagine every editor just auto saves under Documents with a GUID as a name.
Or you need to memorize the filesystem iNode of the document.

That would become messy :)

Michael.