[Lazarus] gdb problems on ubtuntu 19.10

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Nov 1 02:49:05 CET 2019

On 01/11/2019 02:27, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
> I know this problem is not entirely Lazarus related, but I'm hoping
> someone here might be able to provide some insight.
>
> On a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.10 when running projects from Lazarus
> with gdb debugging, any and all projects take anywhere from 20 to 30
> seconds to become interactive after a project has been compiled and
> run. That is, the visual forms either do not appear when running, or
> appear but an unresponsive for 20-30 seconds. If I run without the
> debugger the programs start almost instantly.
>
> When I run the same program from a terminal using gdb manually, I get
> the same unresponsive delay.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it? I've
> done a little google foo searching and have come up empty.

Don't know, but maybe a guess and a question.

Does gdb output anything during this time?

GDB loads info about libraries used (watch mem usage), though over 20
secs seems long
   set auto-solib-add off

There may be other such hidden work of gdb, but I wouldn't be aware of
it.... (there is follow forks, but that must be off)

-----
If you strip the executable, and then run it in gdb what happens? You
can't debug, obviously. But gdb has less work to do.