[Lazarus] Lazarus 2.0.6 IDE suddenly disappeared losing a lot of edits...

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Nov 1 23:03:16 CET 2019

On 01/11/2019 22:10, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
> I installed Lazarus 2.0.6 a few hours ago into a fully updated
> Raspbian Buster on an RPi4B 4GB system. Interfacing to it using
> RealVNC to my Windows7 laptop.
>
> I opened the current project and checked that it would build etc. No
> problems.
>
> Then I started write a section of description comments at the top of a
> source file and when I was almost done and clicked in the editor
> window a few lines down to move the cursor, Lazarus suddenly just
> unloaded on me!!!
> Desktop still there and all seemingly working OK except Lazarus had
> disappeared.
>
> All edits lost when I restarted Lazarus. :-(
>
> I have never before encountered a crash like this, could it be because
> the IDE is so "fresh out of the presses"?
Good question "why". That can't be answered easily. And the issue could
be new or old.

Unfortunately more info would be needed. So it depends how reproducible
the issue is.
It could easily be something related to RP (and then may happen again).
Or Gtk (2 or 3 ?).

Is there a core file? If yes, try to get a trace with gdb.

If it can be reproduced, try getting a stacktrace. If the IDE is build
with debug info, and run from console (or with --debug-log=file) then it
will in most cases print a trace of the crash.
If it does not print a trace, then running the IDE (still with debug
info) under gdb can help.

Well and a "autosave" feature might be nice, but needs to be written...