[Lazarus] The future of the Lazarus IDE

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 23 11:12:40 CET 2019

Hello,

I would like to announce a small poll.

Context:

Web (runtime) applications are abundant.

At my company, desktop is only considered as a last resource (but use cases vary, obviously).

Today, you perfectly can program the web (browser) using FPC's pas2js.

Using pas2js it is also possible to develop VS Code, Atom plugins or Electron applications.

This week in Be.Delphi, (and last week in DüsselDorf, Germany) TMS Software has unveiled
a VS Code plugin: an Object Pascal RAD IDE.

It is based on TMS Web Core, which uses pas2js and the free OmniPascal plugin to give a RAD experience in VS Code.
That means that effectively, you can do your development in the cloud with the VS Code web version.

Further integration of this VS Code plugin with FPC can be expected.

This will mean that soon, you'll be able to do full stack development in VS
Code using object pascal. (or any other language, since VS Code is language agnostic)

This has raised the question whether a dedicated Object Pascal IDE - such as
the Lazarus IDE - is still a necessity. Various avenues can be explored.

Since I am a firm believer in 'Measuring is knowing', I have created a poll:

https://forms.gle/c3QD82UBa3KW6nMz9

Please give your opinion there. It's just 1 question so it won't take long.

Cross-posted on the lazarus forum, feel free to forward to relevant
channels...

Michael.