[Lazarus] The future of the Lazarus IDE

Ryan Joseph genericptr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 23:12:14 CET 2019

> On Nov 23, 2019, at 5:12 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
> This will mean that soon, you'll be able to do full stack development in VS
> Code using object pascal. (or any other language, since VS Code is language agnostic)
>
> This has raised the question whether a dedicated Object Pascal IDE - such as
> the Lazarus IDE - is still a necessity. Various avenues can be explored.
>
> Since I am a firm believer in 'Measuring is knowing', I have created a poll:
>
> https://forms.gle/c3QD82UBa3KW6nMz9

The question whether Lazarus should be remade as an Electron style app? Do you mean the IDE or all the API/widgets?

I've been using Sublime Text for years but we lack good language server support. Omni Pascal offers this for VSCode but I don't see it's open source so I'm making my own language server when time allows.

Lazarus is a buggy and cumbersome program but I don't see how remaking it in Electron/pas2js would be a better idea when we have these good alternatives like VScode/Sublime Text

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph