[Lazarus] The future of the Lazarus IDE

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 23 23:26:46 CET 2019

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019, Ryan Joseph via lazarus wrote:

>> On Nov 23, 2019, at 5:12 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>>
>> This will mean that soon, you'll be able to do full stack development in VS
>> Code using object pascal. (or any other language, since VS Code is language agnostic)
>>
>> This has raised the question whether a dedicated Object Pascal IDE - such as
>> the Lazarus IDE - is still a necessity. Various avenues can be explored.
>>
>> Since I am a firm believer in 'Measuring is knowing', I have created a poll:
>>
>> https://forms.gle/c3QD82UBa3KW6nMz9
>
> The question whether Lazarus should be remade as an Electron style app? Do you mean the IDE or all the API/widgets?

The IDE. That implies the API/Widgets.

> I've been using Sublime Text for years but we lack good language server support. Omni Pascal offers this for VSCode but I don't see it's open source so I'm making my own language server when time allows.

I don't think it's open source. It's free, for the moment.

> Lazarus is a buggy and cumbersome program but I don't see how remaking it in Electron/pas2js would be a better idea when we have these good alternatives like VScode/Sublime Text

Hence the last option: use the codetools and designer to implement RAD
features in VS Code.

I must say I am shocked to read you consider Lazarus "buggy and cumbersome".
In my experience it's way better than Delphi as an object pascal IDE. I'm
generally more productive in Lazarus than in Delphi, due to the superior
code tools.

Michael.