[Lazarus] The future of the Lazarus IDE

Sun Nov 24 20:00:40 CET 2019

On 24/11/2019 11:19 am, Marco van de Voort via lazarus wrote:
> No. More importantly it gives independence. Something that external
> tools don't give. If they wither or change direction, or do the umpteen
> API change you have an immediate problem and risk getting caught in an
> infinite catch-up

Also, myself and companies I worked for have been bitted by the fact
that you used closed source software. I feel web apps fall into that
same category. If the software vendor disappears (or the website), so
does your development tools.

Even IntelliJ IDEA seems to be prone to that issue. Just the other day
we had about 500 developers that couldn't run IntelliJ for a couple of
hours because the licensing server went down. We had to download and
install the 30 day trial version of the Commercial edition so we could
all get going. I just fired up my Eclipse and continued working as
normal - no license server used! The many benefits of fully open source
development tools.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/