[Lazarus] Install Lazarus on Mac OSX Catalina

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 09:11:07 CEST 2019

I'm not on Catalina yet, but I tried building a cross compiler for Cocoa
with 64bit OSX earlier today and failed. It seems that Lazarus on OSX can't
see a 64bit compiler if you use cross install.

What I thought would work was:

make all
make install INSTALL_PREFIX=`pwd`
crossinstall OS_TARGET=darwin CPU_TARGET=x86_64 INSTALL_PREFIX=`pwd`

Then I copied ./lib/version/ppc and ./lib/version/ppcross to ./bin/ and
created a valid ./bin/fpc.cfg

Then I built Lazarus. I tried building with widgetset as Cocoa and CPU are
x86_64 but I could not get the make to work. Then I tried building Lazarus
normally, and changing a new project to use 64bit and Lazarus would have
none of it, arguing that the current compiler does not support x86_64.

Eventually I gave up on building it myself and used fpcudeluxe instead to
install a Cocoa 64bit compiler and Lazarus.

If anyone has any tips on how to manually create a FPC and Lazarus that
support compilation to both 32 and 64bit, or even just a 64bit Cocoa only
version, I'd appreciate any help. I could probably figure it out, but it
would save me a lot of time in re-compiling.

Thanks