[Lazarus] Completely solve the GTK trouble

jiaxing ruan ruanjiaxing1234 at outlook.com
Tue Apr 14 05:59:31 CEST 2020

GTK changes too fast and our GTK3 binding is not updated. We don't have to resource to catch up GTK. I suggest we abandon the GTK3 and any later GTK version interface and instead create an IUP interface. IUP uses GTK underlying, so we don't miss anything. Our apps will look just like when they use the GTK widgetset. IUP focuses more on compatibility than GTK. Even software written for IUP 3.15 could easily compiled and run with IUP 3.27. IUP also has a permissive license. As far as I know IUP is as portable as Lazarus is, so we don't have to care about portability, too.

Let me see what's your thoughts.

With my ability I can only leave suggestion. I don't have the skill to do it myself nor the finance to hire someone else to do. But I think this is the most reasonable move for us.

p/s: We already has an IUP binding, also permissive licensed that we could fork and merge into Lazarus: https://github.com/ruanjiaxing/iup_pascal
[https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/62635950?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/ruanjiaxing/iup_pascal>
ruanjiaxing/iup_pascal<https://github.com/ruanjiaxing/iup_pascal>
Pascal binding for Iup. Contribute to ruanjiaxing/iup_pascal development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com