[Lazarus] Completely solve the GTK trouble

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 07:58:10 CEST 2020

jiaxing ruan via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> schrieb am Di.,
14. Apr. 2020, 05:59:

> GTK changes too fast and our GTK3 binding is not updated. We don't have to
> resource to catch up GTK. I suggest we abandon the GTK3 and any later GTK
> version interface and instead create an IUP interface. IUP uses GTK
> underlying, so we don't miss anything. Our apps will look just like when
> they use the GTK widgetset. IUP focuses more on compatibility than GTK.
> Even software written for IUP 3.15 could easily compiled and run with IUP
> 3.27. IUP also has a permissive license. As far as I know IUP is as
> portable as Lazarus is, so we don't have to care about portability, too.
>
> Let me see what's your thoughts.
>
> With my ability I can only leave suggestion. I don't have the skill to do
> it myself nor the finance to hire someone else to do. But I think this is
> the most reasonable move for us.

We don't need to run after the latest GTK version. Even other applications
like GIMP or desktop environments like XFCE switch to GTK3 only now,
because it has become stable. So in fact this is the right point to get
GTK3 fully running and there has already been work put into the last
months. What's missing is people testing it, reporting bugs and maybe also
people who are willing to dig into it to fix those bugs.

Regards,
Sven