[Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 14 12:07:22 CEST 2020

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

>> You are aware that Joost has already a completely function system for this
>> ?
>
> No. I mean, I was aware that Joost is working on a package manager for fpc,
> but I didn't know any details about his work. Unfortunately this wasn't
> properly communicated between the two teams.

Well, Joost finished not so long ago, and there are still some issues, but
it's all coming together now.

> We're going to roll it out for FPC after 3.2, and I suppose you could
>> piggy-back on it
>> for the OPM. As far as I know joost has been working actively on bridging
>> the lazarus package system with the fppkg system in lazarus,
>> so I imagine it should not be too much work for you.
>>
> That would be awesome. I will check the package manager with FPC 3.2.
> Thanks for the information.

You're welcome.

The idea is to need  as little human intervention as possible.
Only approving a new package would require admin intervention.

> I still need to rewrite the web-front end in pas2js, but from what I've seen
>> that should also not be too much work. It's in my top-3 TODO when the texts
>> for the Lazarus book are done.
>>
> You're writing the whole book alone, or do you have dedicated chapters?

Oh no, I'm not writing alone, but meanwhile I do think I wrote the biggest part.
but I'm not exactly sure. Only when the final version is there will I know,
but that should be really soon now... :)

Michael.