[Lazarus] TextHint in TComboBox

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:10:24 CEST 2020

Regarding issue :

I added TextHint to TComboBox in r63731. QT5 now works with native
TextHint, GTK2 with emulated one.
Native support for Win32 is not implemented yet. Somebody please implement it.
Other widgetsets that natively support this feature for TComboBox,
should also be updated.

I have a question about TextHint support of TEdit in Win32. The
widgetset binding code tests EmulatedTextHintShowing and calls
CreateEmulatedTextHintFont from generic LCL code.
Does it mean it actually emulates the feature inside the binding code
instead of using a native feature?
It should not be needed as the emulated TextHint works purely in LCL code level.
Same thing with QT4 binding code. It also uses emulated TextHint
specific stuff. Is it needed?

TextHint in TMemo works only with widgetset's native support. It works
with QT5 but not with GTK2.
The emulation for TMemo turned out to be tricky. It may never be
implemented, unless somebody provides a patch of course.

Regards,
Juha