[Lazarus] Lazarus code editor improvement?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 10:57:44 CET 2020

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 18:08:54 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus
>AGAIN RETURNING TO THIS THREAD to report new finding...
>When I was working on my development on Raspberry Pi4B via VNC I was
>doing so from a Windows 7 Pro x64 laptop.
>Now, for the last few weeks I have migrated to a new laptop running
>Windows 10 Pro x64.
>I have not changed anything on the RPi4 and I have moved settings etc
>over from the old laptop to the new as I was installing all of the
>software including VNC.
>
>Then I have finally connected by VNC to the RPi4 to continue the work
>over there.
>
>Amazingly, now without changing a thing on the RPi4 the issues I have
>been hit by earlier when using "special chars" are gone!
>There is no tab change or anything like that anymore!
>
>The only conclusion I can draw is that the VNC client version I
>installed on the new laptop (6.19.1115 x64) from Nov 2019 contains a
>fix for the reported problem!
>The old laptop had VNC version 6.0.1 x64 from Nov 2016....

I TALKED TOO SOON...

After sending the post above I did not work on Lazarus for a while but
I noticed later that the VNC window was acting in a way I did not want
and it turned out that on Windows 10 RealVNC I was using the target
address rpi4-gui rather than rpi4-gui:1

The difference is that with rpi4-gui:1 I will access a virtual
desktop, which I have set up on the Rpi4 to be sized 1680x1040 in
order for it NOT to fill up my whole screen on Windows.

It is done through this at the end of /etc/rc.local:

#Start VNC server with virtual desktop
#Access via RealVNC application through address <hostname>:1
#Size of desktop can be adjusted here.
sudo -u pi /usr/bin/vncserver -randr=1680x1040

I did not know that with this in rc.local the base VNC screen
(hardware display) would still be available for connection...

Anyway, when I switched to this virtual screen I have the compose
problem again...

Using AltGr to start entering for example { or [ causes the Lazarus
code editor to switch tabs so the final character drops into a
different source file than intended.

Maybe someone can confirm that this is indeed the cause and that using
Lazarus in the two different ways behaves like I described.

Crash related to use of virtual VNC desktop?
With this result I am also wondering if maybe my repeated IDE crashes
with lost code edits can be attributed to this VNC difference?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden