[Lazarus] Switching Lazarus between fpc 3.2.0 and 3.0.4 - how to?

Mon Jul 6 18:46:33 CEST 2020

On 05/07/2020 6:47 am, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
> Still I seem not to understand this...
> I do have two fpc versions installed (3.0.4 and 3.2.0).
>
> But I cannot find any setting for compiler in
> Project/Project_Options/Compiler_Options/Build_Modes

It's been a while. I thought there was a setting or macro in the Build Modes
dialog. If not, then you need to use "Tools -> Options -> Environment >
Compiler Executable" and keep selecting a different version.
Hence I said MSEide has always done this better - even via a shortcut to
toggle between compiler versions.

Also, I have adopted a directory hierarchy years ago, where multiple
versions are easily supported.
Then make sure your ~/.fpc.cfg file is configured to handle multiple
versions.

My directory layout:

  /data/devel/fpc-2.6.4/
                      - src/
                      - x86_64-linux
  /data/devel/fpc-3.0.4/
                      - src/
                      - x86_64-linux
  /data/devel/fpc-3.2.0/
                      - src/
                      - x86_64-linux

A snippet from my ~/.fpc.cfg file where I use macros for the version:

# searchpath for units and other system dependent things
-Fu/data/devel/fpc-$fpcversion/$fpctarget/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget
-Fu/data/devel/fpc-$fpcversion/$fpctarget/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/*
-Fu/data/devel/fpc-$fpcversion/$fpctarget/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/rtl

Saying that, I think Lazarus IDE looks for a fpc.cfg file in the same directory
as the fpc.exe executable you selected. So in that case, maybe the ~/.fpc.cfg
modifications are not needed for Lazarus. *shrug*

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/