[Lazarus] How to find out which version of Lazarus was used to build last?

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Sat Jan 23 18:50:35 CET 2021

El 23/1/21 a les 17:03, Juha Manninen via lazarus ha escrit:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 5:40 PM Luca Olivetti via lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org <mailto:lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     I know because I had to do it recently and the answer is: a lot.
>     And I wasn't even using a really old version (I last modified the
>     program 3 years ago).
>

> That is unexpected.
> Was it related to the Unicode string change? Indeed it
> broke backwards compatibility.
> If not, what required the biggest change?

Yes, mostly related to the change from FileUtil to LazFileUtil due to
the relocation of UTF8* functions and the removal of UTF8ToSys and SysToUT8.
Those I found straight away since it was a compile time error.

More subtle was the change from LoadFromStream(stream) to
LoadFromStream(Stream, TEncoding.UTF8), since both variants are valid
and I didn't realize until the content of the loaded file was messed up.

All in all the unicode string change had less of an impact that I had
anticipated, still it needs a lot of testing to ensure that everything
works as before.

A more serious problem was related to an external library (zeos
database), since they changed several defaults and that broke things
until I found the workaround.

That's not a fault of the fpc/lazarus team of course, but still, if you
want to go forward, you often have to use updated versions of external
libraries, and that's something to take into account.

Sometimes, when the required change is trivial, it's just easier to use
the original compiler/lcl combo (though I still prefer to bring things
forward).

As I said, I'm not complaining, just saying what I found.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007