[Lazarus] How to find out which version of Lazarus was used to build last?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 18:51:43 CET 2021

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 16:40:21 +0100, Luca Olivetti via lazarus

>> How many and what kind of modifications are needed?
>
>I know because I had to do it recently and the answer is: a lot.
>And I wasn't even using a really old version (I last modified the
>program 3 years ago).
>I another case, with an older program (last touched in November 2015)
>where I just needed to change one line, the diff is around 11000 lines
>(though many of those are just useless changes in the lfm files).
>

>> All libraries try to stay backwards compatible. As a general rule new
>> versions are better than oldĀ versions.
>
>And introduce new bugs, change the defaults so your program no longer
>works as it should, etc.
>I've seen it all.
>
>> I recommend you jump to the latest versions of FPC and Lazarus.
>
>I try to do that, but trust me, it isn't easy.
>It's not the first time I had to go back to a previous version due to
>bugs (or simply different behavior) in the compiler, lcl, other
>libraries, etc.

Luca,
this is precisely why I asked!
Anyway, I now understand that for a GUI application, which uses forms, I can
find the Lazarus version last used by looking inside one of the lfm files last
changed.

But for the console programs this is not needed and then I could probably just
open it in any recent Lazarus since it is just the fpc that is involved here.
Lazarus just used as a manager for fpc and as an intelligent editor, right?

The current case is this helper console application, but I also have a number of
GUI applications that might need work going forward and now I know how to handle
these.

Thanks all!

--
Bo Berglund