[Lazarus] TFrame improvements

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Nov 29 17:47:53 CET 2021

On 29/11/2021 17:18, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:

> It allows a Frame to stand without a parent in the designer or even at
> runtime in some hypothetical situation(?).
> Using Canvas outside Paint may not be recommended but it can be done
> in some widgetsets. The component's duty is to not crash in designer
> or anywhere else when it happens.

I suspect in the Designer it does not stand alone => The designer is the
parent. But I have not checked.

As for "at runtime" and "stand alone" (which at design time may not be
possible, if the designer forces itself as parent).
Is that now possible. Has anyone tested?
Just because it can get a handle does not mean it will work if you try
to make the handle visible.

If it does fine.

If it does not, then we have a new problem.
We now provide a canvas, and let the user believe they painted on it.
But its invisible. And if in order to make it visible, a parent is
required, then that means a new Handle.
So then we throw away the users work. (and the user will forever wonder
way his output is not drawn....)

So can a frame be visible shown standalone? And do we want to support
that. (fix bugs on it, make it work for all widgetsets, ....)