[Lazarus] Component palette enhancements

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 6 12:56:17 CEST 2022

Hello,

I'm probably kicking in an open door when I'm saying that lazarus evolves
and grows. This is good news, obviously.

But I have now more tabs on the component palette than can fit on the screen.
There is a dropdown with the tabs, but that's hardly usable to quickly
locate a component.

I have therefore 3 propositions/requests:

1. Currently a component is identified by its class name.

    This should be enhanced: a component must be identified with UnitName.Name.
    a unit name is a "namespace" and so MyControls.TButton <> StdCtrls.TButton.

    Currently there are several component name clashes in the pas2js and FPC class trees.

2. Similarly, it should be possible somehow to say
    'this component is only for environment X' where X can be defined by the user.

    When I am working on a webserver application or a service application,
    it makes no sense to show all visual controls.

    Likewise, some components only make sense for a pas2js application.

    I am aware of the 'restrictions' on the object inspector,
    and in a sense my proposal is to extend/generalize this.

3. Please add a search edit in the component palette, as delphi has it:
    typing in that edit should reduce the visible tabs to show only tabs that have a
    component with the typed text in the classname, just like the one on the component window...
    (the component window is IMO not really usable if you are not using a docked IDE)

I would think all proposals are feasible, but I can of course be too optimistic :)

Michael.