[Lazarus] Lazarus IDE 'testall' program

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Nov 24 14:34:23 CET 2022

On 24/11/2022 14:00, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 7:16 AM Martin Frb via lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>     On 24/11/2022 12:53, Aruna Hewapathirane via lazarus wrote:
>>
>>     I found one repository on Gitlab:
>>     https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/lazarus/lazarus/-/tree/main/examples
>>     <https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/lazarus/lazarus/-/tree/main/examples>
>>
>>     And another repository on Sourceforge:
>>     https://sourceforge.net/p/lazarus/laz.git/ci/main/tree/examples/
>>     <https://sourceforge.net/p/lazarus/laz.git/ci/main/tree/examples/>
>
>     The correct repo is the one on Gitlab. The sourceforge is a mirror
>     (run by the team). There also is a mirror on Github.
>

> Ah...  thank you for the clarification. So any fix'es I have to push
> to Gitlab then?

- Ideally as a "merge request" on Gitlab. (Fork, push to your fork,
create merge-request)
- However Patches are accepted too.
- And some developers may accept pull requests (in which case your fork
can be on any public accessible git).
   "some developers" => That is, if you interactively deal with a member
of the team, who told you they would be the one to accept your changes.

Any change should ideally be against the "main" branch.
So in this case, that would be reintroducing the files.

If you plan any "larger" work, best to query (as actually - by
coincidence - you do in this mail) if it would be accepted (or what
implementation requirements their might be).
Ideally you will get response from some developer, who confirms that
they will accept and merge/apply your changes.

>     In the "main" branch the example folder was re-ordered. During
>     this process the "testall" appears to have been removed. Not sure
>     of the reasons...
>
> Oh-kay that explains why I was unable to find it and am sure the
> reasons were all good and valid :-)
>
>     Maybe oversight, maybe because it did not work. If the latter,
>     then likely a working version can be re-added.
>

> Umm... well "testall" works on Windows I had zero issues but needs a
> few fixes when running under Linux. I have manged to get it to
> work on my Debian system now.
If you plan to work on it, I would suggest to wait a day or two, for
further details on this to emerge.
If it was removed because it did not work cross platform, then re-adding
after fixing should be ok.

Maybe there were other reasons. Maybe it would be better to break it
into a small number of projects, each dealing with a subset of the
components.
A "all in one" might make it very hard to read and understand the code
for a specific component.

If you look at the examples (and the IDE menu Tools > "Example projects"
(in Lazarus 2.3), then you will find that many components have there own
examples already.
Repeating them, may not make much sense (unless for example to have all
buttons in one project, with settings/code explicitly showing their
differences).

Of course, depending on the course of action, the wiki may need updates
(it still is correct for the current release, but it wont be for 2.4 /
and it might easily be overlooked when the time comes)