[Lazarus] OFF-TOPIC: Naming of char [[[Re: Debugging the unicode RTL]]]

Marco van de Voort fpc at pascalprogramming.org
Sun Jan 22 13:12:28 CET 2023

On 22-1-2023 12:39, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:

> They should be called
>
> AnsiCodepoint
> UniCodeCodePoint

No, since in the case of a surrogate it is not a codepoint either. It is
the unit of encoding granularity, nothing more.

But anyway, that ship sailed in (D)2009.  It is probably the ever
lasting tension between easier transition and long term best nomenclature.

> So people will be reminded that they do not contain characters (they
> may by coincidence, but software should not be build on coincidence)

I have some doubts about such simple nomenclature really explaining
something as complex as unicode. It will never be intuitive and always
need study.