[Lazarus] Lazarus trunk version number

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jun 30 12:51:06 CEST 2023

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:

> On Friday, June 30, 2023, John Landmesser via lazarus <
> lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> perhaps that should have become 3.00 ?
>>
>> Lazarus *3.99* (rev main_3_99-41-g3d8dd85474) FPC 3.2.2 x86_64-linux-gtk2
>>
>> You are looking at trunk, the development version. See :
> https://wiki.freepascal.org/Version_Numbering#Lazarus_3.0_and_newer

You might want to add some explanation for this new versioning scheme to that page.
The graph does not help.

>From what is currently there, I don't understand neither the logic nor the need of this change.

Also, how come trunk is 3.99 (indicating development for 4.0, if I understand
the page correctly) if 3.0 is not yet out ?
Based on the graph, I would think trunk should be at 2.99 now.

Michael.