[Lazarus] Lazarus trunk version number

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Jun 30 13:27:48 CEST 2023

On 30/06/2023 12:51, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2023, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
>
>> On Friday, June 30, 2023, John Landmesser via lazarus <
>> lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>>
>>> perhaps that should have become 3.00 ?
>>>
>>> Lazarus *3.99* (rev main_3_99-41-g3d8dd85474) FPC 3.2.2
>>> x86_64-linux-gtk2
>>>
>>> You are looking at trunk, the development version. See :
>> https://wiki.freepascal.org/Version_Numbering#Lazarus_3.0_and_newer
>
> You might want to add some explanation for this new versioning scheme
> to that page.

Added.

> The graph does not help.
>
> From what is currently there, I don't understand neither the logic nor
> the need of this change.
"Need"... Well, in terms of "because it solved the issue xyz" => then
there is no need.

But, there was no need (anymore) to reserve 2 digits for major releases.
When 1.0 was released there was no need for further major releases to be
1.2 instead of 2.0.
So simple said a non-needed feature was abandoned, subjectively
simplifying the process.

> Also, how come trunk is 3.99 (indicating development for 4.0, if I
> understand
> the page correctly) if 3.0 is not yet out ? Based on the graph, I
> would think trunk should be at 2.99 now.

The fixes_3 branch does exist. So the features for 3.0 have been
finalized. Trunk therefore from this point prepares for 4.0.