[Lazarus] Lazarus trunk version number

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Jun 30 13:42:07 CEST 2023

On 30/06/2023 13:27, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:

> But, there was no need (anymore) to reserve 2 digits for major
> releases. When 1.0 was released there was no need for further major
> releases to be 1.2 instead of 2.0.

I forgot to add the explanation for "anymore"

Prior to 1.0 the minor and patch numbers were used: 0.minor.patch
But therefore the "major" number was not used (always 0).

Since Lazarus became stable, the major number became 1 and it became
available for use. Yet - without perceivable need - minor and patch were
kept in used too. Making it 3 digits to be used. When only 2 were needed.