[Lazarus] Building lazarus broken ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 19 17:21:09 CET 2023

On Sun, 19 Nov 2023, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some changes to the fpcunit support. All worked in the IDE.
>
> In order to push my changes, I did a git pull.
>
> The change broke the "make bigide" command, so I was told by the CI/CD.
>
> Turns out the makefiles did not respect the lazarus dependencies in the
> packages: the new dependency on the codetools package was not taken into
> account by the makefiles. (how an uninitiated heathen like me is supposed to
> know this is probably only known to the happy initiated... ;))
>
> I managed to fix that, fix is pushed so 'make bigide' works again.
>
> However, the git pull destroyed building the IDE in the IDE.
> For some reason, the IDE (I'm on linux mint) thinks it needs to build a
> cocoa version of the LCL.
>
> This is the lcl.pas as generated by the build procedure:
>
> uses
>  AllLCLIntfUnits, CocoaConfig, CocoaCursor, CocoaMenus, LazarusPackageIntf;
>
> In the build settings, I did specify gtk2,linux,x86_64 as the platform
> settings.
>
> So why does the IDE insist on recreating a cocoa version of lcl.pas ?

Well, as usual I found the answer myself after asking the question :/

This is the culprit:

---
commit f821ad251b945f3435303f208b2e7de045749424
Author: rich2014 <rich2014.git at outlook.com>
Date:   Sun Nov 19 18:36:11 2023 +0800

     Lcl: udpate lcl lpk and cocoa unit files
---

I undid that commit:

Clearly, the LCL package should not use any platform/wigetset specific units.

Maybe time to introduce 'conditional inclusion' of units at least for the widgetset/platform ?

Michael.