[lazarus] Progress

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Wed Sep 1 16:22:51 EDT 1999

Shane Miller wrote:

> Actuallly, users WILL be able to create their own widgets once we add
> some drawing mechanism that they can use to draw their widget.  They
> COULD write the entire thing in Pascal if they wished, just like you
> add something totally new in windows.  If there isn't something that
> looks like you need, then you need to draw it.  The drawing interface
> will need to be done before this is possible.

How do you plan on having this LCL generated component receive new
events that were not originally defined for the base widget?

How will this be able to support themes?

How will this be able to support DnD?

How will this be able to support Corba?

If you think that you can make it do all of this well then great. We had
this dicussion back in the beginning of the summer where we mulled over
the possibility of writing directly to the XLIB or GDK. We all decided
that it wasn't the way to go. Now all of a sudden everyone is talking
about doing that again. If you go that way I feel that it will be
extremely difficult to keep the indendence we have started with the
InterfaceObject stuff. The only way to do it will most likely be to tie
GTK or whatever API directly to the LCL.

Above you state that users will be able to create their own widgets. I
don't deny that at all. They can always access the GDK on their own or
talk directly to the GTK if they wish. In this case though you are
talking about creating NEW code using LCL. A large part of the recent
discussion was based on using EXISTING Delphi code. This existing code
is based on the premise that you can override things like the paint and
draw for the parent component and draw it how you want. But API's like
GTK don't work that way and that is what I am trying to point out.

Code written brand new using Lazarus and the LCL can extend the base LCL
features by linking directly to the GTK and GDK themselves if they so
desire. But there will be alot of existing that Delphi code that will
only be usuable AFTER it has been modified to meet the feature set of
the LCL.