[lazarus] New to Lazarus...

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Thu Jun 22 17:50:52 EDT 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Chespi wrote:

> Hi everybody! I haven't given up yet. You'll have to endure me for a
> long time I'm afraid... I'm still trying to understand how everything
> works. What I guess so far (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) is that
> the best thing to do first is create an empty directory (for example
> C:\pp\cvs), and there run:
>
>    C:\pp\cvs> cvs -z3 checkout dir1 dir2 dir3 ...
>
> Then, when I want to update, I run
>
>    C:\pp\cvs> cvs -z3 -dP update dir1 dir2 dir3 ...
>
> This way in C:\pp\cvs I have the latest stuff, right? Now, what do I
> do with it? I copy everything to C:\pp\source (where the installation
> program placed the sorces that came with the release version) and then
> I remake everything, correct?
>
> I guess first thing is to rebuild the compiler...
>
>    C:\pp\source\compiler> make clean
>    C:\pp\source\compiler> make cycle
>
> Then I copy the new compliler to C:\pp\bin\win32 and I use it to
> compile the rest, right?

Better do a (in compiler dir)

  make install rtlinstall

after the make cycle

This will install the new compiler and the RTL as well.

>    C:\pp\source\compiler> cd ..\rtl
>    C:\pp\source\rtl> make clean
>    C:\pp\source\rtl> make

These steps can be skipped if you did the make rtlinstall.

>    C:\pp\source\rtl> cd ..\fcl
>    C:\pp\source\fcl> make clean
>    C:\pp\source\fcl> make
>    C:\pp\source\fcl> cd ..\packages\gtk
>    C:\pp\source\packages\gtk> make clean
>    C:\pp\source\packages\gtk> make
>    C:\pp\source\packages\gtk>  cd ..\..\lazarus

You better switch this, first compile the packages and then the FCL
(the FCL uses some of the packages).

Starting from the compiler dir:

  cd ..\packages
  make clean all
  make install
  cd ..\fcl\win32
  make clean all
  make install

>    C:\pp\source\lazarus> make clean
>    C:\pp\source\lazarus> make
>
> Am I ok so far? Am I missing directories to remake or something?

This should be OK.