[lazarus] I got hacked- but I'm back up now

Tony Maro TonyM at nlisc.com
Sat Sep 28 14:07:58 EDT 2002

Well all the attention from Freshmeat over the CheckBook tracker software I released finally brought my first successful hacker.  My website was deleted (including all subdirectories) and replaced with a page saying "You've been paved." - at about 2:00 AM EST

The hacker exploited a global variable flaw in the phpWebsite software I run for content management that's been known about for 4 days.  Unfortunately I didn't know about it.  I've restored from backup and notified his ISP's security department.

So, point is - my website is back up.

Not bad for being online 24 hours a day for about 7 years.  I'm extremely concious of security concerns and keep all patches updated, plus a firewall, etc...

-Tony