[lazarus] GTK team: please specify!

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Oct 31 19:15:58 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:07:58 +0100
Micha Nelissen <M.Nelissen at student.tue.nl> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:16:05 +0100
> > Micha Nelissen <M.Nelissen at student.tue.nl> wrote:
> >

> >>If I now move the groupbox, windows
> >>remembers it's painted image and the invisible component moves with it.
> >>How is this handled?
> >

> > Normally, moving a control, should invalidate it, which result in a
> > paint message for the control, which will automatically repaint the
> > control and the designer will repaint the icon (at the new position, so
> > that it appears to be fixed).
>
> I think we're making this WAY too difficult and hackish with DC
> size/position calculations all over the place.

I totally agree. I'm not proud of this code.
The nicest solution would be a transparent layer on top of a form, together
with paint messages, clipping and invalidates. But I guess, it will take
some years, before we get this for normal window managers.

> I suggest making the grabbers windows, derivative of a TCustomForm or so.
>
> I suggest using a window, derivative of TCustomForm, for drawing
> invisible components on.

I'm not sure, what you mean. Can you give more details?

> Then it'll all be easier and cleaner. What do you think?

I like everything, that is more easier and cleaner and as fast as the
current solution.

Mattias