[Lazarus] IDE editor's NoteBook component problems

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:27:43 CEST 2009

I thought it appropriate to place my response in the mailing list as
well. I had no negative "flame bait" intentions with my comment. I
feel other readers should also know this.

2009/8/18 Vincent Snijders:

>> After all, I was told multiple times the IDE is for programmers, not users
>> (apparently programmers are not users) - so anything should go.
>
> What kind of flame bait is this?

What I mean is that if the Lazarus IDE uses a custom drawn Notebook
component so that all platforms can have tabs on the side with
horizontal captions, then it should be ok and allowed in the IDE. We
(developers) are more technical minded - function over beauty,
compared to normal (non-developer) users. That custom drawn component
will only be used in the IDE, so will not be available in the
component palette. It will not affect the cross-platform & native
components requirement of the LCL.  I hope I explained myself better
this time round.

Other IDE's do similar thing - custom IDE-only components used in
IDE's like Delphi, Eclipse etc.. If you use tools like  MWSnap and the
Window Information tool, you will see GUI classes in the Delphi IDE
which are not available on the component palette.

Regards,
  - Graeme -