[Lazarus] GTK2 changed to single-handle-per-form design

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:21:54 CET 2009

2009/12/15 Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:
> Marc Weustink wrote:
>> On 14-12-2009 15:37, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> Will this in any way affect LCL?
>>
>> Not, since it is already the case for most controls. Thats why you
>> sometimes can draw a buttoncaption outside a button.
>
> Ah, so that explains it. That problem is quite visible in Lazarus IDE with
> CheckBoxes, Radio Buttons and GroupBoxes all painting outside there bounds.
> GTK2 library quality seem to be pretty crappy compared to Qt. Maybe the
> GTK2 developers (I mean the library developers, not LCL-GTK2 developers)
> should learn a few lessons from Qt about correct clipping behaviour. :-)

Sigh.  Maybe you should raise that on the gtk list?  Maybe you can
also explain to me what good hard-coded bounds are, given that you
will never be able to get it right to suit everyone's language, theme
or font size.

Gtk says that if widgets need to have hard clipping, they should
create their own window.  This causes performance issues, though, by
increasing communication with the x server.

But this is really a non-issue.  I'd argue that clipping is almost
always bad.  What use is something if you can't see it?  I've just
gone through most of the ubuntu preferences dialogs and not one of
them clips anything.  What's more is that they react to font sizes,
theme changes and translation correctly.

Henry